Without a doubt, one of my favorite dishes to eat at this time of year is my Avocado Corn Summer Salad. If a season could taste, it would taste like this salad. Lettuce, avocado, corn, tomato, and onion are splashed tossed with olive oil and lime juice, making rivulets of their mingled flavors and juices.
I know many people who can’t tolerate onion in their salad. I fit into this group of people until I was twenty, (sniffle) many years ago. Raw onion was something unbearable to me! But in Spain it’s very common to put raw onion in a mixed salad. I learned to appreciate the flavor that onion juice imparts to salad. No, I still don’t eat raw onion, but I find it essential for making a tasty summer salad. My advice is that if you don’t like onion, don’t eat it. But for heaven’s sake, don’t leave it out of the salad, or you’ll missing out on some incredible flavor.
This salad is vegan with little protein for four servings. It can easily be made into a complete meal by tossing in some tofu and nuts, chicken, turkey, crab, whatever strikes your fancy. At Kitchen-Confidante I saw a somewhat similar salad, though heavier, that uses the same basic ingredients; avocado, corn, lime, and she serves hers with turkey; it looks good, too. Make this salad early this summer because you’ll want it over and over! Make it a part of your healthy eating habits.
Servings: 4 small
Total time: 15 minutes
¾ to 1 bunch romaine lettuce, washed and patted dried
Ear of one corn, cooked
1 tomato, cut into wedges
½ avocado, sliced from top to bottom, about 8 slices
1/8 small onion, sliced into lengthwise strips
1 tablespoon lime juice
2 tablespoons olive oil (or lemon juice)
Garlic salt – of good quality. (This one from Costco is Mediterranean sea salt mixed with roasted garlic.) Or use plain sea salt if you don’t have good quality garlic salt.
1) Find a pot large enough for the corn and fill it with water. Bring the water to a boil and then add a 1/3-teaspoon salt. Simmer the corn for 3 minutes, and then drain the water. Fill the pot with cold water and ice to cool the corn. When the corn is cold, use a paring knife to scrape the corn off the husk.
2) Wash the romaine. Stack several leaves together and then with your Chef knife, cut down the length of the spines. Next, cut across the width of the lettuce into 1-inch strips. Repeat the process until all the lettuce has been prepared.
3) Slice a tomato into small wedges and place them around the edge of the bowl. Sprinkle 2/3 of the corn over the lettuce.
4) Lay the sliced avocado into a spiral shape on top of the corn.
5) Slice about 1/8 of an onion into lengthwise strips and the place them between the avocado slices. Sprinkle the remaining 1/3 part of corn over the top.
6) Show the beautiful arrangement to your family or guests at the table and when you are ready to eat, pour the olive oil over the salad, making sure to spread it around evenly. Follow this with the lime juice, and then with a few good twists on the bottle of garlic salt. Toss and serve.
Enjoy this tasty avocado and corn summer salad!
This recipe is also posted at Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays and Simple Lives Thursday