They’re here. Spicy Mini Corn Muffins hot off the press!
Spicy mini corn muffins are so good to eat and so easy to make. I never could understand why a person would buy a mix to make cornbread when it’s hardly any more difficult to make it than boiling an egg.
Cornbread is an American staple, the knowledge of its preparation a gift from Native Americans. It’s no wonder cornbread caught on because cornmeal, the principal ingredient, can be baked, made in a skillet over a fire pit, fried, cooked into mush or polenta, or fried on a flat grill for pancakes; these are just some of the more common uses for cornmeal there are many more ways of preparing it.
Another great thing about cornmeal and the muffins and other foods you can make from it, is that you can easily flavor it by adding sautéed onion, bacon, scallions, cheese, buttermilk, cilantro, peppers, corn, tomato, shallots, flavored oils, whatever you fancy.
Mini muffins are fun and they’re great at parties. If you put a muffin in front of me the whole thing will be gone in a blink. But put two little mini muffins down and I’ll be just as happy with that and probably eat half the calories. Do you make muffins from a mix? Try making them from scratch and adding some of your favorite healthy ingredients. You won’t be sorry.
- 1-1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ¾ cups yellow corn meal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup corn
- ¼ cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Serrano chili, finely diced (about 1 chili)
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a medium bowl; the whole wheat pastry flour, corn meal, baking powder, and salt. Stir well.
- In a separate container whisk together the wet ingredients; milk, olive oil, egg and honey, and then add them to the dry ingredients, stirring to combine.
- Mix in the corn, finely chopped bell pepper, and the minced Serrano chili.
- Spoon the batter into an oiled non-stick mini muffin pan and then bake for 10 – 12 minutes.