I couldn’t get enough of the flourless pecan sandies cookies that I made a couple of weeks ago so I’m back today with flourless Cashew Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies. This month the challenge of the Recipe ReDux blog group was to come up with a healthy and tasty stackable food, and if I had read a little more closely I might have posted a veggie burger, tuna burger, or vegetable stacks. Let’s just say it was a lucky mistake anyone could have made when I misread the instructions. I know my boys are pretty happy about the oversight.
I first got the idea for flourless cookies from Sue’s site at TheViewfromGreatIsland. I absolutely loved the pecan cookies that I was inspired to make after seeing Sue’s cookies. The pecan cookies turned out a little on the thin side so I wanted to change the texture for the cashew so it would have more volume. I added chopped cashews, chocolate chips and cashew meal (ground cashew nuts). The result is something like a macron with the added texture from the nuts and chips
During my research for flour less cookies I came across a couple of other good sites: BakingBites, and SallysBakingAddiction. Sally likes to under bake her cookies. She says 8-10 minutes. I chose to bake these a little longer 10 to 11 minutes. Cashews are a light colored nut and I like see some color on the cookies when they come out of the oven so I leave them a little longer. As I said earlier, they taste something like macarons so they are chewy, light and airy. One of biggest differences between my cookies and the others is the amount of sugar. I feel you can’t get away with less sugar and still have it be great tasting. Why use more if you can get away with less? See for yourself and bite into them. I’m loving flourless cookies. Do you like them too?
**Notes - If using store bought nut butter you will need 1/2 cup cashew butter, 1/2 cup cashew meal, and 1/3 cup broken cashew pieces.
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups cashews
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil, flax seed oil, or avocado oil
- 1/3 cup broken, or chopped cashew pieces
- ½ cup chocolate (Ghiradelli 60% cocoa)
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°
- Place 1-1/2 cup of cashews in the food processor with 1/2 teaspoon olive oil and process until the nuts are mealy like sand. Separate out ½ cup to save for later.
- Continue to process the remaining nuts until they are fully blended and creamy like peanut butter, but this will be more pasty and firm.
- In a mixing bowl, add the sugar, salt and the baking soda. Stir well. Whisk in the egg and vanilla, and then add the nut butter and stir until the nut butter and eggs are well incorporated.
- Stir in the nut meal (ground nuts), chopped cashews and chocolate chips.
- Use a small ice-cream scoop to measure out the cookies and place them on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. (The ice-cream scoop should measure, or have a diameter of 1-inch from side to side.)
- Bake for 11 minutes. They will be soft when they come out of the oven but they will firm up. Allow them to rest for a couple of minutes before transferring them to a cookie rack to cool.
Weight Watchers Points: 4 per serving. One serving is 2 cookies.