What do Healthy Eating Habits Look Like?
Do you know what healthy eating habits look like? It wasn’t until I wasn’t until I was in my thirties that I learned what they looked like. If you have them I’m sure you know that you have healthy habits. Many people who have poor habits, and who have had them since they were young probably can’t even imagine what healthy eating habits look like. If the healthy eating habits listed below sound foreign to you, it’s a clue that you may need to make some changes in your diet.
- You drink eight, eight-ounce glasses of water at throughout the day.
- Meals are planned for the week, or a couple of days ahead at least. This way you don’t settle for take-out, or an easily fixed unhealthy meal.
- You eat three to six meals a day, and you eat them at approximately the same time every day.
- You drink water, or ice tea without sugar with your meals, not sodas or juice.
- Snacks consist of fresh fruit and, or vegetables, alone or with a little protein.
- The family eats together as often as possible; at least once a day.
- Your meals consist of different combinations of whole grains, fresh leafy greens, vegetables, fruit, legumes, tofu, poultry, fish, and occasional lean meats, nuts, and occasional low-fat or non-fat dairy products.
- You eat 5-9 serving of fresh fruit and vegetables daily
- The serving sizes on your plate range from a quarter cup, to a three-quarter cup serving size–depending on the type of food.
- You eat desert exceptionally.
If you are vegan, vegetarian, or dairy intolerant, your food intake will vary from some of the foods mentioned above, but many of the other points would apply.
With your healthy eating habits you might be eating anywhere from three to six meals a day, however many meals you eat daily, three or six, you do it consistently. Healthy eating habits look the same every day of the week, even when eating out–this is because they are habits, practices that you perform over and over until they are part of your nature.
Do your eating habits look like this? If they do, congratulations! Give yourself a pat on the back. If they don’t, you may want to take a good look at how you are eating. Do you see something that looks like a healthy pattern or do you see some areas that need improvement? Learn to listen to yourself. Listen to that voice that says, “I really shouldn’t be eating this.” Make the healthy changes that are right for you now.
“The first step to getting what you want to out of life is this: Decide what you want.” – Ben Stein
Related Article: How I Got My Healthy Eating Habits.